~Build A Thick & Wide Back~
There are five exercises to build a great back.
2. Pull Ups
4. Rear Delt Lateral
5. Pull over
Okay notice I didn’t list exact exercises, because one’s that work great for me might not for you.
1. Deadlift - a barbell deadlift has always been my favorite exercise. Great for back thickness, also legs, glutes, traps, biceps, forearms, and most of all the deep muscles of the back.
2. Pull Ups - These will give the back width. Either wide, narrow, or reverse grip, and also behind the neck. Cable pull downs are great, but body weight pull ups are the best. A lot of people think you need to do every pull up with different grips to target each muscle, but any grip will hit every muscle. Choose one per workout and then a different one next workout.
3. Rows - Barbell, dumbbell, cable, machine, or body weight for thickness. Yet again a lot of people think for need to do every exercise at different angles of the elbows, but one per workout is enough, just choose a different one next workout. Change up the grip and position of the elbows. Also one that is different from the pull up. For example if you do a wide grip pull up next do a dumbbell row, or a reverse grip pull up with a barbell row.
4. Rear delt laterals - train delts on back day? WTF? Any row movement that pulls the arm back works the posterior deltoid. Also while doing a rear deltoid exercise, when the arms pull back at a certain point, the scapula pulls together and works the traps and rhomboids. Bent laterals, while standing or on a 45° bench, is a great exercise.
5. Pull overs - Dumbbell, cable, machine super pull overs, and stiff arm pull downs. Pull overs are the only single joint back exercise that hits the lats, lower traps and serratus muscles. A great way to get a good pump so do high reps.